Monday, March 26, 2012

My Barn


Someday I will live in barn. That’s right. Chicken’s, sheep, the whole setup.  I’m serious.  I went to school in Bennington, Vermont and while I was there, I babysat for a lovely family that converted a barn into a wonderful home. The typical barn shape lends itself to expression, and at the same time has a wonderful, sheltering feeling to it.  

If you don’t know Atlanta, well, we don’t have too many barns left around these parts. Since it looks like Atlanta is for me (I really do love it here), I’ll share a few of the houses that got this idea cooking in the first place.  

The Barn House -> Belgium 


Louver House -> Long Island, NY 
by LSS




by LCE Architects


Converted Dairy Barn -> Sussex 
by LCE Architects 



Vitra Mueum -> Germany 


Not a barn per say, but I love the lincoln log feeling.  One of the things that we try for in our work is a feeling of timelessness.  So often I come across a modern home and can tell almost to the year when it was designed.  These designs blend the old and the new so beautifully though, they create a style with no expiration date.

--Sarah


1 comment:

  1. Love the idea of modernizing the barn or even farmhouse:

    http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/raina-roberts-modern-farmhouse-makeover-house-tour-167991

    ReplyDelete